SEMINAR-WORKSHOP ON INTERCULTURAL DIALOGUE IN PRACTICE
INTERCULTURAL DIALOGUE FROM THEORY TO PRACTICE: NETWORKING AND KEY ISSUES ON PROJECTS DEVELOPMENT WITHIN MALTESE AND EURO-MEDITERRANEAN CONTEXTS.
DATE: 26 February – 8h30 to 17h00
VENUE: Dar l-Ewropa , 254 St Paul Street , Valletta
PROVISIONNAL PROGRAMME AGENDA
9H00: INTRODUCTION OF THE SEMINAR FRAME AND AGENDA OF THE DAY
9H15: GENERAL PRESENTATION OF THE ALF AND OF THE AGENDA OF THE YEAR:
ALF GENERAL PRESENTATION
PROGRAMMES AND BARCELONA FORUM
CONCEPTUAL FRAME: EUROMEDITERRANEAN AND NATIONAL FRAME
09H30: INTERCULTURAL DIALOGUE AND GENERAL CHALLENGES IN THE EUROMED AREA (Dr. Derek Lutterbeck – MEDAC)
10H00: THE MEDITERRANEAN COMMON APPROACH AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL
(Dr. Adrian Grima; Dr. Jesmond Xuereb)
10H30: QUESTIONING THE APPROACH: PRESENTATION OF THE THEMATICS WORKSHOPS
AND ANY QUESTIONS FROM THE PARTICIPANTS
10H45-11H00 MORNING BREAK
COMMON DYNAMIC FOR GLOBAL ACTION:
CONCEPTUAL APPROACH IN PRACTICE AND COOPERATION
11H00 : 2 PARALLEL WORKSHOPS : A CONCEPTUAL APPROACH GUIDE TO THE PARTICIPANTS
REFLECTIONS ON THE MALTESE CONTEXT AND FIELDS OF ACTION BY THEMATICS- BUILDING COMMON ACTIONS ON A LARGE NATIONAL SCALE
WORKSHOP ON MOBILITY AND CULTURAL PRODUCTION
The role of artists and culture, creation and support on mobility within the Maltese cultural context
Presentation of the conclusions of the preparatory meeting “Creativity, Mobility and Dialogue” in articulation with the Maltese context
Discussion on challenges and project building reflections
(President: Dr. Jesmond Xuereb (TBC) / Presence of specialists speakers: Professor Peter Serracino Inglott, Mr. Mario Frendo/ Olda Gauchi (TBC), Ms. Brenda Azzopardi /Moderator and Reporter: Mme. Davinia Galea)
WORKSHOP ON CITY DIVERSITY AND MIGRATIONS
How cities deal and challenge minorities, cultural and religion issues: Politics and cultural issues in the Maltese context – Questioning the perception of immigration and cultural diversity
Presentation of the conclusions of the preparatory meeting “Cities, Diversity and Migrations” in articulation with Maltese context
Discussion on challenges and project building reflection
(Chairman: Dr. Ivan Mifsud / Presence of specialists- speakers: Dr. Catherine Camillieri-JRS (TBC), Dr. Adrian Gellel (TBC) , Mr. Osvalido Zammit / Moderator and Reporter: Dr. Ranier Fsadni)
13H00-14H15: LUNCH BREAK
14H15: PROJECT CAPACITY BUILDING AND COMMON DYNAMIC:
• PRESENTATION BY THE REPORTERS OF THE WORKSHOPS’ OUTCOMES : PROJECTS, NEEDS AND POSSIBLE SUPPORTS ( Dr. Ranier Fsadni; Mme Davinia Galea ; Professor Peter Serracino Inglott )
• NETWORKING WITH MEDIAS: Media as Key-Partners to support the approach of Dialogue – Communication and Media’s interests with the projects (Dr. Carmen Sammut)
14H45 : NATIONAL AND EUROPEAN SUPPORTS AND CO-FUNDINGS OPORTUNITIES
MEUSAC: Funds and co-funding: the European opportunities and application
CCP: Cultural Programme 2007-2013 and Mediterranean Stand (Mr. Andrea Scorcia)
MEDC / MCCA: National funds, situation of the artists in Malta (Mme. Davinia GALEA or MCCA Representative)
PRACTICE IN ACTION :
PRACTICAL TOOLS TO THINK AND IMPLEMENT THE ACTION
BUILDING PROCESS OF THE ACTION:
Working with the local and target groups
15H30-15H50 Performance Projection: a street theatre performance on diversity and tolerance with Maltese and Refugees Actors
15H50-16H10: Building Process: Discussion with the theatre facilitators of the project and the presence of the actors (Mr. Arndt Kremer)
TOOLS FOR IMPLEMENTATION
Working on the message, Involving the public and the role of Artists to create tools for cultural bridges and to enhance Dialogue
16H10- 16H30 : Presentation of a film project on Maltese reality about Fishermen and illegal immigration: Rebecca Cremona- how to involve the public
16H30-17H00: Approach of the message: experiencing, working on solution and not questioning a problem: introduction of the workshop on ICD skills hold on the following day (Saturday 27 morning ): Noureddine Erradi
CONCLUSION AND INVITATION TO FOLLOW UP OF ACTIONS
17H00 : INVITATION TO CONTINUE TO SHARE AND MEET TOGETHER OVER A COFFEE TIME (External coffee)
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES AND TOPICS OF DISCUSSION
• To Induce a Reflexion on the notion of Good Practices for Intercultural
Dialogue within the Euro-Mediterranean and Maltese context
Key issue related to thematic fields of action
To give bases nurturing the emergence of new ideas, tools and approaches for future actions.
• To Develop Common Actions and to foster Project Capacity Building in strategic fields:
Workshop on a global approach and a common project dynamic
Opportunity for participants to present their projects and discuss about the ways their initiatives can offer/find possibilities of national cooperation.
Barcelona NGOs Forum in March 2010: discuss about the ways the common projects can support the mission and programme of the ALF and be presented during the Forum
• To facilitate and foster the development for future collaboration
Encourage acknowledgment and cooperation between the ALF Network
Inform the other participants and enlarge the network to the venue of new
members, especially Local Council, Public Institution support, individual artists
Develop contact and Interaction between the participants and their fields of
competences for a global approach of the projects.
• Introduction of tools for founds and partner search :
Awareness on the European funding opportunities and national opportunities for help and founds
Awareness about the tools on the ALF website: founds and partners search
• Presentation and awareness about the existence and role of the ALF:
(Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation for the Dialogue between Cultures)
Object, frame, function, functioning and existing programmes
• To propose a reflection and a base for Networking function:
Introduction of the Alf Maltese Network members and their diverse fields of action
Implementation of the ALF Network dynamic in Malta:
› Communication and mutual responsibility/role within the network
› Gathering of competences through several tools and actions such as an internet portal; a mutual assistance via the exchange of know-how and knowledge
› Diffusion of information and communication on actions and calls
• Dr. Simon Mercieca: Director of the Mediterranean Institute- UoM, Head of the ALF National Network.
• Ms. Vanessa Ficarra: Maltese ALF National Network Coordinator (Mediterranean Institute- UoM) – ICD facilitator
• MEUSAC Representatives: Ms. Brenda Azzopardi- Research Analyst ; Mr. Osvalido Zammit – EU Funding Coordinator.
• Dr. Jesmond Xuereb: Chief Executive Officer of the Fondazzjoni Tami Zammit, Lecturer in Political Sciences (Mediterranean Institute – UoM).
• Dr. Derek Lutterbeck: Holder of the Swiss Chair and Lecturer in International History at the Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies (MEDAC)
• Dr. Adrian Grima : Coordinator of the Mediterranean cultural organization Inizjamed, Lecturer in Maltese literature (Faculty of Arts – UoM) , Poet-Artist.
• Professor Peter Serracino Inglott : Chairman of the Mediterranean Institute Professor of Philosophy at the University of Malta
• Dr. Ranier Fsadni: Anthropology Division, Social and Cultural Anthropology, Mediterranean Institute-UoM
• Dr Ivan Mifsud: Specialist in Administrative Law, worked with the Office of the Parliamentary Ombudsman ; Chairman of the Prison Board of Visitors- StateCareandMore citizen informative website co-manager
• Mme. Davinia Galea : Director at the Malta Council for Culture and the Arts (MCCA) ; Pianist-Artist.
• Mr Andrea Scorcia: Project Coordinator for the Cultural Contact Point (CCP) Malta
• Dr Carmen Sammut : International Communications ; Center for Communications Technology Departement – UoM; researchs in media organisations and the professionalisation of journalists; Issues of culture, gender and migration in international politics.
• Mr. Arndt Kremer : Artist Theatre Facilitator, Lecturer Philosophy Department (UoM)
• Ms Rebecca Cremona: Artist – Executive Video-reportage producer and writer
• Noureddine Erradi: Coordinator InterCulturalisation at roc; Chairman and lecturer at IFA (Integration For All); Intercultural Trainer-film maker; Winner of the Grundtvig Awards 2008 –year thematic: ‘Intercultural dialogue in non formal adult education and learning´
• Mr. Mario Frendo (TBC) : Director of the Malta Art Festival and Coordinator of the Theatre Studies Department (Mediterranean Institute- UoM)
• Dr. Adrian Gellel (TBC) : Art and language in Education Department-UoM ; National Co-ordinator for Religious Education in School for the Catholic Church in Malta and Board member of the Pastoral Formation Institute
• Catherine Camillieri (TBC): Director of the Jesuit Refugee Service JRS.
• Maltese and Refugees Artists-Actors from the Migrant Solidarity Movement Organisation (MSM) Project street theatre.
PARTICIPANTS/ TARGET GROUP
• ALF Maltese National members
• Any NGO concerned with this thematic
• Individual artists
• European structures in Malta
• National Local councils and National public Structures
• Public and National Institutions
• Media professional and Journalists
• Individuals concerned with the discussions
ORGANISERS PARTNERS: The Anna Lindh Foundation, the Mediterranean Institute (University of Malta) and the ALF Maltese Network, MEUSAC and FTZ.
• The Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation (ALF) is a Network of National Networks promoting Intercultural Dialogue (ICD) in the forty-three countries of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership. Its main concern is that of supporting the actions for Dialogue emerging from civil society and to enhance the cooperation within the area for more impact, visibility and cohesion. It is part independent and works to give more chance to civil society to influence policies and mentalities. As a Network of Network Structure, its extraordinary and unique richness relies on its more than 2,800 members working in a wide range of fields, including arts, culture, education, youth, research, migration, communication, governance, gender issues and environment
• The Mediterranean Institute of the University of Malta and the Maltese ALF Network Members: The Mediterranean Institute has been nominated the Head of Network of the Maltese national network. The main objective of the Institute is to promote Mediterranean studies in both arts and social sciences through a holistic understanding of this historic region, its culture and its peoples.
To date the Maltese Network gather 27 national and international members Organisations working in diversity of the ALF fields. One of our immediate objectives is a close collaboration of the network members to develop and provide tools to enhance ICD practices to partners and spread awareness at a National level, to encourage and facilitate the cooperation on projects at a National and International EuroMed scale, and to settle a common dynamic respecting our diverse approaches.
• The Fondazzjoni Temi Zammit (FTZ) is a Maltese not-for-profit foundation drawing key stakeholders together in a strategic partnership to boost regional development. It is a collaborative network implementing international, European and local projects of benefit to the whole community.
FTZ’s three inter-related units were set up to build on the experience the foundation has gained so far in each area of activity: e – eLearning, Education & Training; c – Culture, Cities & Development; i – ICT, Innovation & RTD.
• The Malta-EU Steering and Action Committee (MEUSAC) Aims to disseminate information on EU policy and funding programmes. For this purpose, MEUSAC officials participate in radio and television programmes, and write articles in various publications, including newspapers and magazines. MEUSAC also organises or collaborates with other entities in the organisation of seminars and conferences, as well as information campaigns. This is also done with the European Commission through the Management Partnership between MEUSAC and the Commission. MEUSAC officials also reply to queries from the general public relating to requests for EU-related information. The Information Unit is also responsible for a number of MEUSAC publications.